Can pregnant women dye their hair? This is probably a question you have since you still want to look and feel your best during pregnancy. Hair dye contains chemicals, so you surely want to make sure that your various beauty habits will not cause any harm to your baby.
Hair Dye Safety During Pregnancy
The research on this topic is quite limited, but as of today, no research indicates that dying your hair is harmful during pregnancy. The same is true when you are breastfeeding. While hair dye does contain chemicals, they are in such a small amount that what the skin absorbs has not been shown to cause any problems for a developing fetus. You can dye your hair on your usual schedule. Now, if you want to try a new type of hair dye treatment, it is best to consult your doctor to ensure the alternative product is safe.
Being Safe When Chemically Treating Your Hair
When you are chemically treating your hair, there are some safety precautions that you can take to ensure that you are being as safe as possible for yourself and your baby. Again, dying your hair traditionally has not been proven to be harmful, but most moms want to take as many precautions as possible. The following are things you can do to ensure that you can dye your hair as safely as possible when you are pregnant:
- Wait until you enter your second trimester to dye your hair, avoiding this process during your first trimester
- Follow the directions exactly and never leave the hair dye in place for longer than the directions state
- Always wear gloves and wipe away excess dye during the process
- Always use hair dye in an area that is well-ventilated since the chemicals put off fumes
- After you dye your hair, make sure that you rinse thoroughly until the water runs completely clear
- Before you go and apply the dye to your whole head, make sure that you follow the directions to do a proper allergy patch test 24 hours in advance
You now know the answer to “can pregnant women dye their hair?” This gives you further insight on the beauty rituals that you can continue to observe safely while you are carrying for your child. No matter what, it is always a good idea to talk to your doctor before using any chemicals during pregnancy.