How many weeks are you pregnant for? You often hear about nine months, but knowing the weeks allows you to better track your progress. Since your baby is developing more every week, knowing how many weeks also gives you the chance to track your baby’s development and make sure that he or she is growing at the natural rate. In general, women are pregnant for 36 to 38 weeks, but some women give birth earlier and some later. Seeing how your baby develops throughout this time will help you to grow with your soon to be child.
The Trimesters by Weeks
Your first trimester starts at conception and goes through week 13 of your pregnancy. Your second trimester starts at week 14 and then it goes through week 26 of your pregnancy. Your third trimester begins at week 27 and goes until you give birth.
Fetal Development by the Weeks
Each week, your baby develops more and more and becomes a person before your eyes. The following information shoes how your baby is growing and developing over the weeks of your pregnancy:
- Weeks four though seven: At this point in your pregnancy, your baby is an embryo consisting of two layers of cells. This is the very beginning of your baby growing and developing.
- Weeks eight through twelve: During this time, your baby has grown to approximately the size of a kidney. He or she is moving around and you can see slightly webbed fingers.
- Weeks thirteen through sixteen: Your baby is about an ounce in weight and about three inches long. He or she now has unique fingerprints on those tiny fingers.
- Weeks seventeen through twenty: At this point, your baby weighs about five ounces and he or she is about five inches in length. The skeleton is starting to take shape and the rubbery cartilage is starting to turn into bone.
- Weeks twenty one through twenty four: Your baby is about 10 inches long during this period. He or she now has fully formed eyelids and eyelashes.
- Weeks twenty five through twenty nine: During this five week stretch, your baby’s skin is start to smooth out and he or she is starting to gain baby fat. Your baby is about one and a half pounds in weight at this stage.
- Weeks thirty through thirty three: Your baby can now follow a light, close his or her eyes and open them and is 15 inches long. At this stage, the baby weighs about three pounds.
- Weeks thirty four through thirty seven: Your baby is filling out from baby fat and the lungs are developed.
- Weeks thirty eight through forty one: If you have yet to five birth, your baby is about seven pounds and 19 inches in length.
Now you know the answer to “how many weeks are you pregnant for?” Use this information to properly schedule your prenatal care and to follow your baby’s growth. You can do a countdown and use this information to ensure that you are preparing for your new baby in a timely manner.