How Hard is it to Get Pregnant?

0
3431

how-hard-is-it-to-get-pregnantHow hard is it to get pregnant? Approximately 85 percent of couples trying to conceive will do so in the first year, but for the other 15 percent, it can take a lot longer or maybe not even at all. Knowing what to expect will help couples to increase their chances of conception, as well as know when something is wrong.

Statistics Concerning Time to Get Pregnant

The following shows approximately how long it takes for people to get pregnant. You can see that most become pregnant within 12 months. The statistics include:

  • It takes one month to get pregnant for 20 percent of couples
  • It takes six months to get pregnant for 70 percent of couples
  • It takes one year to get pregnant for 85 percent of couples
  • It takes 18 months to get pregnant for 90 percent of couples
  • It takes two years to get pregnant for 95 percent of couples

These statistics are for couples who are trying to conceive naturally and not using fertility treatments. Getting pregnant within two years is normal.

What Impacts How Long it Takes to Get Pregnant?

The following can impact how long it takes someone to get pregnant:

  • You have reproductive health conditions
  • Your age
  • Your job
  • Any chronic illness
  • You are overweight or underweight
  • How often you have intercourse
  • Your lifestyle
  • Your diet

Exploring the Causes of Infertility

Not ovulating as is normal is responsible for about 25 percent of infertility cases and the most common causes include:

  • Polycystic ovarian syndrome: This is a condition that causes a hormonal imbalance that can inhibit ovulation.
  • Premature ovarian insufficiency: This condition is connected to an autoimmune response. The body attacks ovarian tissues by mistake, causing the inhibition of egg production.
  • Hypothalamic dysfunction: This gland produces the two hormones necessary for ovulation so when it is not functioning properly, you might not ovulate.
  • Too much prolactin: This is a hormone and too much of it causes a decrease in estrogen production which can lead to infertility.

While these are the most common causes, other issues might lead to infertility. These include:

  • Fallopian tube damage due to problems like previous surgeries in the area, pelvic inflammatory disease or pelvic tuberculosis
  • Cervical or uterine causes, such as benign tumors or polyps, cancer, uterine abnormalities since birth or cervical stenosis
  • Endometriosis, which is a condition characterized by normal uterine tissue starting to grow in other areas of the body
  • There are cases where the cause of infertility is never determined

How hard is it to get pregnant? Now, you know the answer to this and can better plan having a baby with your partner. If you are trying for a year and have not conceived, talk to your doctor. He or she can learn more about your health and run tests to determine if infertility is a factor.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.