Approximately 50 to 90% of all pregnant women usually vomit when they are pregnant during their first trimester. This happens during the early stages of pregnancy, and is commonly referred to as morning sickness. However, despite the term these symptoms can occur at any time. In most cases, symptoms are mild. The nausea is not constant, and can come and go. The sickness can sometimes lasts for 1 to 4 hours. In some women the nausea is quite severe, and is known by its medical term as hyperemesis gravidarum. In most cases, vomiting starts before the 9th week of pregnancy and the symptoms can disappear by the end of the 16th week in 90 per cent of the women. In some women, the sickness persists throughout their pregnancy.
Many people find it hard to cope with sickness and vomiting in pregnancy. This can interfere with the way a pregnant woman leads her life. It affects their mood and work. In order for them to cope with life, they generally need support from family and friends.
Main causes of sickness and vomiting during pregnancy
Experts have not yet identified the exact cause of sickness during pregnancy. The most likely cause is the changes in the hormonal system. Nausea and vomiting tends to worsen in cases where the woman is having a multiple pregnancy such as twins.
The following is a list of reasons that may cause nausea during pregnancy:
- Young women
- Stress or anxiety during pregnancy
- If it is your first pregnancy
- If you are carrying a female baby
- If you have had a history of sickness causes by motion.
- Women with history of migraines.
Steps to take in order to relieve sickness or vomiting
In a majority of the cases, women experience mild forms of nausea and as a result there is no need for any treatment. Despite that, there are some things that you can do in order to relieve these symptoms. Try the following steps to bring relief:
- Make it a practice to eat small but frequent meals. The best foods are those rich on carbohydrates such as crackers and bread. It has been reported that when you eat nothing at all, the condition worsens. Eating regularly is a good remedy for nausea during pregnancy. Some women have reported that when you eat a biscuit some 20 minutes before waking up, you will feel better. If your nausea is associated with food smells, it is a good idea to consume cold foods.
- Ginger: A number of studies have shown that taking ginger syrup or tablets can be of a great help. However, take extra care since the quality of ginger differs greatly.
- Identify and avoid triggers: It has been discovered that there are triggers that can set off nausea or sickness. Some of these triggers are smells or stress. As much as possible, try to avoid the triggers that may cause stress.
- Take a lot of fluids to avoid dehydration. Drink fluids frequently to avoid vomiting. Aim at drinking a minimum of 2 liters a day. Water is said to be the best drink in case you are feeling sick. Avoid sweet and cold drinks because they can worsen the symptoms.
- Acupressure: A number of studies have shown that acupressure is very effective in relieving pregnant women from nausea and vomiting.
When is medicine necessary?
A large number of women eat and drink enough so they do not need any medicine. But, if the symptoms of nausea are persistent there is need for anti-sickness medicine.
Medical experts have always advised that all forms of medicine be avoided. This includes herbal medicine and because their contents are not always known with certainty. Despite that, there are a number of treatments which are considered to be safe for women with pregnancy. The two most common medicines used are cyclizine and promethazine. It is always advisable to see a doctor before taking any medicine during pregnancy.